One type of private information is personal information, which is defined under Japan’s Act on the Protection of Personal Information as information describing living individuals, including names, dates of birth, addresses, phone numbers, contact information, and other information that can be used to identify specific individuals (collectively, “Personal Information”).
Other types of private information include history information and special information, a category distinct from Personal Information as described above that includes information such as Services used and products purchased, history data describing pages and ads that have been viewed, keywords used in searches, times and dates of use, methods of use, information about devices and connections used to access Services, postal codes, gender information, occupations, ages, user IP addresses, cookie information, location information, and terminal-identifying information.
The Company may ask for Personal Information such as names, dates of birth, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses for user registration purposes. The Company may also collect records of transactions that include Personal Information detailing interactions between users and entities such as business partners as well as payment information from information providers, advertisers, and advertising targets (collectively, “Business Partners”).
The Company collects the following history information and special information from users when they use Services or view pages provided by it or its Business Partners: Services and software used, products purchased, history data describing pages and ads that have been viewed, keywords used in searches, times and dates of use, methods of use, devices and connections used to access Services (including the communications status of mobile devices used, if applicable, and associated settings information), IP addresses, cookie information, location information, and terminal-identifying information.
3. Purposes for Which Personal Information Is Collected and Used
The Company collects and uses Personal Information for the following purposes:
(1) To display information including registration information such as names, addresses, contact information, and payment methods as well as Services used, products purchased, and associated prices in order to allow users to view and revise their own registration information and to view their use
(2) To use contact information such as email addresses to provide notifications and contact users, and names and addresses for the purpose of shipping products
(3) To use information including names, dates of birth, addresses, phone numbers, bank account numbers, credit card numbers, driver’s license numbers, and delivery records for certified mail for the purpose of user authentication
(4) To use information including the names and quantities of purchased products, the types of Services used and the ranges of dates of such use, number of uses, invoice amounts, names, addresses, bank account numbers, and credit card numbers to invoice users for the cost of products
(5) To display registered information on input screens and forward data to other services based on user instructions (including services provided by Business Partners) so that users can more easily enter data
(7) To use information necessary in order for the Company to provide Services to users, for example inquiry details or information relating to invoicing, as well as information about the status of users’ utilization of Services, contact information, and other information for the purpose of responding to inquiries from users
(8) To use information for other incidental purposes that are related to the above
4. Provision of Personal Information to Third Parties
The Company does not provide Personal Information to third parties without the consent of the individual in question, except in the following circumstances or if compelled by the Act on the Protection of Personal Information or other applicable laws and regulations:
(1) In the event the Company is legally compelled to provide such information
(2) In the event that such provision is necessary in order to protect life, limb, or property under circumstances such that it would be difficult to obtain the consent of the individual in question
(3) In the event that (a) such provision is necessary in order to improve public health or facilitate healthy child-raising under circumstances such that (b) it would be difficult to obtain the consent of the individual in question
(4) In the event that the Company’s cooperation with efforts by a governmental agency, a local public entity, or the agents of the same to carry out their legal obligations is required under circumstances such that obtaining the consent of the individual in question could interfere with the fulfillment of those obligations
(5) In the event that the Company has previously provided notice or otherwise publicized the following information:
The fact that it will provide such information to third parties in order to achieve the purposes for which it collects and uses the information
The types of data to be provided to the third parties
The means or methods by which it will provide the data to the third parties
The fact that it will stop providing Personal Information to the third parties upon the request of the individual in question
Notwithstanding the provisions of the preceding paragraph, the following activities are not considered to constitute provision to a third party:
(1) Outsourcing of all or part of the operations associated with handling Personal Information to the extent necessary to achieve the purposes for which the Company collects and uses the information
(2) Provision of Personal Information as part of the continuation of operations following a merger or similar change in the status of the Company
(3) Provision of Personal Information in the event that (a) the information is being used jointly with a particular entity or group of entities and (b) the Company either notifies the individual in question of the following, or the individual in question can easily find out the following: the types of Personal Information being so jointly used, the identity of the entity or entities jointly using the information, the purpose for which the entity or entities will use the information, and the names of the individual or entity that is responsible for managing the information.
The Company shall disclose Personal Information without delay to the individual in question upon request. However, the Company may elect not to disclose some or part of the information in the following circumstances, in which case it shall notify the individual of that decision without delay:
(1) In the event that such disclosure could harm the life, limb, property, or other rights of the individual in question, or of one or more third parties
(2) In the event that such disclosure could pose a significant hindrance to the appropriate execution of the Company’s operations
(3) In the event that such disclosure would violate any law or regulation
Notwithstanding the provisions of the preceding paragraph, the Company on principle shall not disclose information other than Personal Information, for example history information or special information.
In the event a user discovers an error in his or her Personal Information as maintained by the Company, he or she may request to have it corrected or deleted by means of a procedure provided by the Company for that purpose.
In the event that the Company deems it necessary to accommodate a request made as described in the preceding paragraph, it shall correct or delete the Personal Information in question without delay and notify the user of the same.
In the event a user requests that the Company cease using or delete Personal Information because it was obtained in a manner that falls outside the purpose of use, or because it was obtained by illegitimate means, the Company shall conduct an investigation as necessary without delay, cease use of or delete the information in question as appropriate based on the result of the investigation, and notify the user of the same. However, if ceasing use of or deleting the Personal Information would entail significant expense or otherwise impose undue difficulty, the Company shall formulate an alternative measure as necessary to protect the rights of the individual in question.
The terms and provisions of the Policy are subject to change without notice.
Except as otherwise specified by the Company, changes to the Policy shall take effect upon the publication of the Policy on this website.
Inquiries concerning the Policy should be directed as follows:
Address: 7th floor, NREG Akihabara Building, 1-8-13 Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0021
Company name: Gatebox Inc.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org